Sunday, October 17, 2010

This isn't what I signed up for!

I have to admit my main goal in life has always been to have children. As a child I really didn't even care if I ever had a husband or not, I just knew I wanted kids. Back then my understanding was that you needed an actual husband to have babies, so out of necessity I wanted that too. Looking back, that was a good thing.

My plan was to meet my future husband in college, get married shortly after college, and then have adorable, well behaved, easy to take care of babies. Okay, so I found my man, had the babies. Of course I would have no behavior issues with my kids because they would be related to me for heaven's sake!

My first child cried for an entire year, and my second was extremely strong willed and stubborn. I figured that motherhood must be the most difficult thing in the world, and questioned why I ever thought I could handle such a thing. Other "older" moms with teens would tell me, "you think this is hard, wait until they are teenagers". "HA", I thought. Surely they don't understand or remember how hard it is to be a mother of small children. MY future teenagers will be perfectly behaved, adore me, and never EVER lie or misbehave.

Looks like they got the last laugh. Being a parent of a teen is the hardest thing I have ever done and it is my goal to use this blog as a way to share and connect with other parents of teens. Along with struggling to parent a teen, there is also a lot of laughter along the way. And it's better to laugh, than cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment