Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Teenager would never lie because I am a very honest person, his dad and I are great role models and we go to church every Sunday........and other delusions

So I have this son who is a really great kid, really he is. He has always gotten great grades, stayed out of trouble, nice friends, etc. He would NEVER lie because, well we have such a great relationship.

One weekend he told me he was spending the night with a friend from church. Okey dokey, no red flags there. Kid from church - check. Know the parents - check. A few weeks later I see friend from church's mom at my weekly Bible study. I say to her, "thanks for having my son over for the weekend a few weeks ago." This comment was met with a blank stare. "uhh, hmmm, when?" she said. "you know that weekend a few weeks ago" I replied. "uhh that must have been the weekend I was away". RED FLAG - RED FLAG.

Luckily this child of mine typically caves when confronted. When I asked him what friend from church's mom made for breakfast for them, he just said, "oh, we got our own breakfast". Hmmmm. "Well, I saw her at my Bible study and she says she doesn't remember you being there." He then has the deer in headlights look on his face....he caves.

Turns out he spent the weekend in a fraternity house at the University of Central Florida. This is while he was still in high school. His dad and I would have actually let him go,  but I guess he didn't want to take the chance of asking. Point being - TEENAGERs LIE like dogs. There must be something in their brains that just flips into gear when they have a plan that mom and dad might not approve of. Gotta love them, but don't trust them - LOL!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, wait until Bethany becomes a teenager. Girls DON'T cave.
    -Cathy McCartan

    ReplyDelete